Jump to Content

Conflict and Dispute Resolution

Frequently Asked Questions

The questions below are grouped by general category:

If you have questions that are not addressed here, please feel free to Contact Us.



What does CRES mean?

CRES has become the nickname for the Conflict and Dispute Resolution Master’s Program. It was originally taken from the course prefix established by the UO registrar for our program’s courses: C for conflict and RES for resolution. Now we’re CRES!

Do I need to be a law student to apply?

No. This is an interdisciplinary master’s degree granted by the Graduate School and open to any qualified applicant with a bachelor’s degree. However, current or prospective law students may apply for a concurrent degree in Conflict and Dispute Resolution. (see below for special instructions for law students)

How long does it take to complete the degree?

This is a 71-credit degree program. A full-time student can complete all requirements in two years (including Summers). The first year of the program is full-time; the rest of the credits can be earned part-time if that best suits your needs. Part-time and concurrent Master’s degree students can complete the degree in three years.  Concurrent law students can complete both the Master’s degree and the JD in four years.

How many students are in the CRES program?

Cohort sizes range between 26 and 30, depending on the year.  In a given year, the program has approximately 60-80 enrolled students.

Is the program a master’s of arts or master’s of science?

The program follows the University of Oregon guidelines for Master’s degrees; where a student can earn a Master’s of Art by completing an additional language requirement as defined by the Graduate School, the default degree is a Master’s of Science.

How is the curriculum structured?

In the first year, students concentrate on a core course sequence designed to build strong foundations in conflict resolution theory and practice. In the following year, students focus on individualized learning through interdisciplinary elective course options, internship, and a thesis or terminal project. Participation in a capstone seminar, during the second year, completes the degree requirements.  To learn more about the structure of the Master’s program, see Program Structure.

What is the typical profile of a master’s student?

Our students bring a rich diversity of experiences and backgrounds. Their backgrounds have included, for example, law, psychology, police-community relations, human resources, labor, environmental regulation, education. Some have significant work experience, and some have come straight from other university programs.  For information on what we look for in an applicant, see Admissions.  For more information on previous cohorts, see Cohort Profiles.

Where is the program located?

In the Knight Law Center at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon. The UO is an AAU research university with over 24,000 students. Eugene is a vibrant city of approximately 157,000 people, and a major cultural center in the I-5 corridor. It sits about 100 miles south of Portland, an hour’s drive west of the Cascade Mountains recreation areas and an hour’s drive east of Pacific Ocean towns and beaches.

Is the program available part-time?

The short answer is: not during the first year.  The cohort model requires a full-time commitment during the first year of the program. Each required course is offered only once each year, and you need to be available to take the class when it is scheduled, with your cohort. That said, it is possible to work during the first year, if you have a flexible (part time) job schedule.  Your schedule will be more flexible in the second year of the program because you will be working more independently on your internship, electives, and final project.

Is this program available online?

We do not offer an online format at this time; since the program follows a cohort model, each incoming class moves through their first year of core coursework together here in Eugene.  

Can I begin the program in January?

At this time, the program only accepts students for a Summer term start. 

Are scholarships available?

Our program currently offers small scholarships for all first-year students only. For more information on tuition and finances, see Tuition & Finances.

Can I still take your classes if I’m not in the Master’s program?

While some CRES courses are reserved for only CRES students, some electives are open to other graduate and undergraduate students.  If you have questions about taking a specific course, please contact Managing Director Anna Shamble.

Do you offer trainings to community members? 
Some of the ADR Center trainings are open to community members – please see the ADR Center website for training opportunities.

Do you offer mediation, facilitation and/or arbitration services?  If not can you refer me to someone?
The Master’s Program doesn’t offer services directly.  For on-campus resources, see Conflict Resolution Services; please contact Managing Director, Anna Shamble or ADR Faculty Director, Jennifer Reynolds, for off-campus recommendations and resources.



When I try to apply for fall term, I receive an error message. Why?

Your first class will begin in mid-August, which is still technically summer term at the University of Oregon.  Please apply for summer term.

I am, or I was previously, a graduate student at the UO. Do I need to re-apply?

Yes, you will need to reapply.  For details, see Application Procedure.  If you have questions about re-using specific parts of your previous graduate application, please contact us.

I’m currently a law student at the University of Oregon. How do I apply to the CRES program?

UO law students applying to the master’s program will apply online using Gradweb.  Your application will be streamlined, as the Master’s Program will use 2 letters of recommendation, your LSAT scores, résumé and transcripts that you submitted for your law school application.  For details, see Application Procedure or contact us if you have questions.

I’ve been out of school for several years and cannot get letters of recommendation from former professors. What should I do?

While we strongly prefer to have at least two recommendations be from academic sources, we will accept recommendation letters from employers or other community members who know you well enough to provide a recommendation.

When will I hear if I have been admitted to the program?

First round admission letters usually go out about three or four weeks after the application deadline (see conflict.uoregon.edu/application/ for deadline details), and we continue to accept additional wait list candidates on a rolling basis between that date and July.  We do our best to stay in contact with applicants once you submit your application, so if you have specific questions, let us know.


Transcripts and Entrance Exams

I’m a graduate of the University of Oregon. Can you access my UO transcripts?

If you are a graduate of the University of Oregon, you do not need to have your official UO transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions, but you do need to request that transcripts be sent if you earned subsequent credits after leaving the UO.

I’m a graduate student at the University of Oregon. Can you access my transcripts?

If you are a graduate student at the University of Oregon and have already sent the UO Office of Admissions official transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate institutions at which you completed 12 or more credits, you do not need to have your official transcripts re-sent.

What is the routing number for sending my GRE exam scores?

The University of Oregon routing number is 4846.

Do I need to take an entrance exam again if I have already taken one?

Unless you earned a PhD at an accredited US institution or a JD from an ABA accredited US institution, you must submit scores from an entrance exam.  We will consider scores up to five years old. You will need to contact the examination entity and have them forward a copy of your scores to us. 

I see that the program accepts LSAT scores, but I can’t find a way to submit my LSAT scores. What would you recommend that I do to submit an LSAT score?

The Law School Admission Council will not send a copy of your scores to our program, so please send us a copy of your official score report.  If you are have applied to the UO Law School in the past two years, are currently applying to UO Law, are a current UO Law student or are a graduate of UO Law, however, you do not need to send us a copy of your LSAT scores – we are able to access them from your law school file.

I have a Ph.D. already. Do I need to take an entrance exam?

We will waive the GRE, LSAT, or GMAT requirement for applicants who have earned a Ph.D. from an accredited US institution.


International Students

I'm an international student and have questions – where can I find the answers?

For information specific to international students, please see International Applicants.  If you don’t find the answer to your question, please feel free contact us.

Do you provide full scholarship/sponsorships that cover tuition for international students?

Not at this time.  Please visit International Applicants for information about scholarship opportunities for international students. 


Oregon Law » Conflict and Dispute Resolution » Frequently Asked Questions
Careers Privacy Policy About Find People © University of Oregon. All rights Reserved.